Petey had another big day today. Both teams have now officially announced the trade. Goalie Hannu Toivonen for 21 year old center/winger Carl Soderberg. Soderberg played all of last season in Sweden after not making the Blues roster. he was supposed to play in the AHL however he chose not to and took a suspension in stride. Chiarelli said that he believes Soderberg will be competing for a spot in Boston, however if he doesn't get one Chiarelli doesn't know whether he will play in Providence or Sweden. Meanwhile Toivonen spent his entire season jumping around between Boston and Providence, not racking up great numbers in either city. The Finnish goalie led the PBruins into the second round of the Calder Cup playoffs, however after signing a "trade-able" one year contract earlier this offseason, and with the addition of Manny Fernandez, we all new this one was coming.
Also today, getting absolutely no attention at all, was the announcement by the Boston Bruins that Chiarelli resigned Winger Jeff Hoggan.
I know this is a couple days late but...
The Boston Bruins on Tuesday acquired Left Winger Peter Schaefer for Right Winger Shean Donovan. This is a fantastic trade made by Peter Chiarelli. Even though it looks like this trade is going to cost the Bruins around a 1.5 mil cap hit, Schaefer brings some much needed offense. The Bruins had the 2nd fewest goals scored in the Eastern Conference with 219 goals. Schaefer should help. He will definitely bring scoring to whatever line he is on. Here are what I think the lines should be now:
Sturm - Savard - Murray
Schaefer - Bergeron - Bochenski
Reich - Mowers - Thornton
Axelsson - Kessel - Kobasew (One of the best 4th lines in the NHL)
Chara - Alberts
Ference - Ward
Allen - Lashoff (could be Wideman or Stuart or Dempsey or Sigalet)
Goalies are a whole different issue. We have six and only room for four:
I was on a little vacation but now I'm back. The Bruins however were very busy:
• The Bruins acquired goalie Manny Fernandez from the Minnesota Wild for Petr Kalus and a 4th round pick in the 2009 draft. I don't know how this really helps. Yes we now have a reliable goaltender (which we have in Thomas already), but Fernandez is a huge cap hit earning over 4 million dollars a season.
• the Boston Bruins picked up free agent right winger Shawn Thornton, a very underrated player from the Championship Ducks team.
• the Bruins re-signed defensemen BBobby Allen
• the Bruins re-signed winger and team tough guy Jeremy Reich
• the Bruins re-signed defensemen Dennis wideman
• And the Bruins announced their 2007-2008 regular season schedule